If you are of a certain age, you may remember a TV series from the 1970’s called Wonder Woman, starring Lynda Carter. As a kid, I looked forward to watching the weekly Wonder Woman show to see what new amazing adventures were in store for Lynda Carter. I especially loved her signature red boots. How could anyone not love the vibrant powerful colors, especially young impressionable girls? Although I am sure several boys watched the series too, since it was a popular family friendly show. There is a major Wonder Woman movie in the works and is scheduled to be released in 2017 by a major studio.
Let’s think about how we would create a bedroom with a Wonder Woman theme. Yes, this is definitely something I am sure that several families around the globe are faced with this task, since this is a character that is becoming very popular again. The Wonder Woman bedroom, is filled with fantasy and possibilities of empowerment. There are several ways to accomplish this Wonder Woman bedroom theme. One way is literally with all the paraphernalia related to the character, and the other is more subtle with colors and inspired design elements.
If you are an adult Wonder Woman collector, you will love the mature inspired super hero theme the designer Aman Dhalay featured in her brilliant blog post: Superhero comforts – A Wonder Woman Inspired Room on the Life of Elle Calgary Blog. This is an approach that blends literal and inspired into a polished looking bedroom that anyone would enjoy. My favorite item is the comfy red Barcelona chair. You can have your very own Barcelona style Pavillion Chair that is sleek, stylish and modern by the stellar furniture and design team at IFN Modern. I could definitely see this chair and ottoman being a great addition to just about any room or style.
If the goal is to make a bedroom one that is rich and colorful that makes you feel good all over, let’s take a look at the following tips below that will give you a bedroom that the room’s owners will definitely want to enjoy.
Decorate the ceiling – By focusing on putting an emphasis on the ceiling, you can create an alluring ambiance that will surely bring sheer enjoyment. You must take into account the current texture of the ceiling, by looking at if the ceiling currently Is flat or has a texture, such as knockdown or popcorn. If your bedroom ceiling has a texture coat, you must first make it flat before you start with decorations for your Wonder Woman ceiling.
- Literal theme: If you are going for the literal theme in the room, you can recreate the night sky with lots of stars. This can simply be accomplished by scattering glow in the dark stars on the ceiling to create a night sky. The background ceiling color is important if you go this route.
- Literal theme: If you want something truly unique, consider painting a mural of Wonder Woman flying on the ceiling amidst beautiful clouds. This will be done by a muralist and is custom, however, the results will be stunning and will definitely make a statement. A simple modified option to the custom mural is to use cloud stickers from a specialty store, like Hobby Lobby or Michaels Crafts.
- Inspired theme: If you are looking for something more toned down and definitely on the budget friendly side, consider simply painting the ceiling with a color, such as a sky blue paint color that emulates clouds. This will be a great subtle way to bring your ceiling into focus without being overly dramatic.
Use Bedroom Lighting that makes a statement
- To make a room bright and inviting, using the appropriate lighting is essential. There are so many options when it comes to lighting that it pays to be informed on the subject of lighting design trends.
- One of the most traditional approach to bedroom lighting is having two lamps on either side of the bed. You can make this simple approach by looking for a lamp that fits the Wonder Woman Theme.
- If you want a lamp that ties in to the literal theme, take a look at the actual Wonder Woman Lamp statue by online retailer, Amazon-Westland Giftware. This lamp design has a statue of Wonder Woman on the base and a lamp shade that looks like it comes directly from a Marvel Comics page. I love the tie in of this lamp for a literal approach to the theme. I found a great video showing the lamp up close and personal by a wonder woman collector.
- If you are looking to take a more Inspired approach for your Wonder Woman themed lamp, you can consider lamps such as a Lava plus table lamp in the bold red or blue color. This lamp is a modified approach to the traditional lava lamp in that it comes with an actual lamp and shade that is built in tandem with the lava lamp. It sits appx. 19 inches and looks modern and like it would provide ample lighting as a nightstand lamp.
- You can take this opportunity and integrate LED Emergency Lighting into this room and in other key areas of your home. You will find this type of lighting will come in handy when emergencies do happen. The cool thing about the new types of emergency lights is that you can find stylish ones that are discreet and elegant looking and blend into the background. Consider making this a necessary feature in your home, instead of a luxury item.
Paint the walls vibrant bold colors – Your choice in paint will definitely make a statement in your Wonder Woman themed bedroom. There are a host of options that you have when it comes to this area of the room. You can achieve this with simple paint colors, custom murals or sticker decals.
- Literal theme: If the goal is to go big and bold, the first thing to consider is a custom mural design featuring Wonder Woman. The theme could be the Wonder Woman character in a city landscape, with skyscrapers and buildings as background.
- Another option is a wall sticker decal. Wonder Woman sticker decals are available too and this is a much easier way to design a wall, since you only need to stick it on. If you grow tired of it, you can always replace it with something else.
- Painting the bedroom walls in vivid colors, like red, blue, gold, yellow and other bolder colors is another option. The room will look like it came straight out from the pages of a comic book. This will also give the room a sense of character and individuality.
Use Colorful Bed Linen
The bed linen does not necessarily have to be a Wonder Woman-designed linens. You can always add a little flair to make it more feminine and pretty like floral-designed bed linen, pastel-colored bed linen or bold-colored bed linen, it all depends on your preference.
Accessorize the Bedroom
- To accessorize a room, consider using large intentional accessory items. Things such as large wall art or throw pillows for the bed. Try and integrate objects of varying sizes so that the look remains balanced. Don’t make a cluster of small objects in one area and a large cluster in another area. Try and make sure that everything works together cohesively. The last thing that you want to do is to make the room look cluttered. Always remember, less is more, which translates, into “get rid of any clutter” because you want to keep adequate space so the room can breathe and not look small.
- There are lots of collectible items of the Wonder Woman super hero. You can sprinkle your favorite collectible item into your bedroom design to help make more of an added impact on the room. Since they are collectibles, make sure they have a significant location of prominence in the room. Be sure they will get the respect and attention they deserve in room.
- Plants and flowers can help to brighten up a room. Indoor plants create a feeling of life and possibilities. When you use plants and flowers that have vibrant colors, it adds a sense of fun and excitement to an area. Be sure to choose the right plant for your bedroom to bring the inspirational feeling in your Wonder Woman theme bedroom.
Choose Bright Flooring Options
Bright flooring options such as carpet or tile will definitely put a special touch on the Wonder Woman themed bedroom. When you add bright bold flooring, it will brighten up the room and give it a special feeling and place to enjoy in your home.
If you have chosen a bold color for the walls, you may want to consider using your flooring as an accent to the overall theme. Try shades of colors or look for a large throw rug that can fit the look. Remember, the goal is not to create an over the top room, just because it is a super hero theme. You want to always be sure that the items you are putting together in the room work well together.
Being a Wonder Woman fan does not mean that you have to go over the top with your super hero themed bedroom. You can integrate items into your look for a more inspired and tasteful modern look to your bedroom. This goes for the super fan too, because if you go overboard with the theme, you may run the risk of getting tired of the room very fast.
Start your planning process by writing your goals down for the room. Know your budget and don’t get carried away with items that you find that can blow your budget out the water with one purchase. However, remember to have fun with your Wonder Woman bedroom theme. Be a little bold and daring with your choices to make this a fun room that you can enjoy for years to come. Let your inner creative side inspire you on this journey.
Click on the following to read more:
Superhero Comforts – A Wonder Woman inspired Bedroom – Life of Elle Calgary