Choosing the “perfect color combination for your home’s interior or exterior can be a challenging and daunting task. However, it is very rewarding because color can be a very powerful tool that can transform a boring space into an inviting atmosphere. This holds true for exterior color choices as well as interiors. There are a few basic fundamentals that need to be followed to succeed at having a successful color scheme.
The first thing that you must understand is that you should have fun and understand that there are no hard and fast rules that you need to follow when finding a successful color scheme that works for your home. There are tools, such as color wheels and charts and of course design principles that can assist you in the process, however, the main thing is to find the right colors that work best you and your home. The bottom line is that most color choices and preferences are subjective, which means there is no right and wrong to finding the perfect color scheme that suits your taste and preferences.
When you start to look at what colors you want for your home, remember that there are values of colors. Having the right blended mix of values in your home’s interior or exterior color scheme will help you keep the color scheme balanced and the colors will be in harmony with one another.
Always remember to test a color first before you purchase gallons of colors for the painting project.
- Make a floor plan of your home
- Make a list of all the items that you will have in each room. Be sure to include large objects that will make a statement, such as rugs, furniture, walls, comforters, artwork, etc.
- Get actual paint swatches that best reflect the colors that are in the large items in the room
- Write down all the positive features and the negative features of each room individually
- Take a look at the positive traits and highlight the focal points
- Take a look at the flow of the entire home
- Determine what mood you want to convey in the home
- Take a look at the color palette and determine what items to include
- For color simplicity: Use one color with different color values throughout the entire home
Focus on the Lighting
Lighting has an enormous impact on a room’s color, look and feel. Since color is a reflection of light, the amount of light that comes into a room, will make a major impact on the overall color scheme. Make a note of the natural light that comes into the room from the windows, lamps or ceiling fixtures.